Friday, June 22, 2012

TGIF 6/22

Happy 10th Anniversary to my favorite oldest son and his lovely, amazing wife Jaime who are celebrating on some sheeshy-reeshy island in the Caribbean. Of course, I also have a favorite younger son too ;) and last but certainly not least, my all-time favorite daughter.

I will be heading to Lafayette later this morning as soon as all guests have left for the day. I work the desk on the morning shifts since I am an early riser and Mary prefers not to be when possible.

I always consider Thursday to be my end of the week because that is the last day of the week that we survey.  I've gotten quite accustomed to my two and a half hour walk-outs and feel like I'm in training
for a marathon.  Anyone who thinks that I took this position to be near Mike needs to be assured that there has yet to be born the man I'd walk two and a half hours, three times a week, in hundred degree heat for :) and that's a fact.

Yesterday was interesting in that we completed our initial canvass zone. Tomas is going to compile the data into some manner of spreadsheet to summarize what we've discovered so far.  This half of the neighborhood is much different from the other half, with few exception. For one thing, many of these people must work because they weren't home, also some of the ones who were home either didn't answer the door or didn't want to particpate. We came across a particular block that was probably the worst for 'characters' that we've encountered so far. One of the few white residents, could have fallen of a stereotypical red neck porch anywhere, beer can included said to me about the neighborhood as he thrust his head toward the fence, " Move my hair back and look at the staples."  I DON'T think so!! then he just turned without further comment and walked away.  Two doors down from him we encountered one of the few black residents in the area who was so out of it we ended the survey when he asked, "How much are you paying?" Sheesh!!!

But, on an up note, there were several very elderly (80+) residents who visited with us as Tomas interpreted in Spanish and we spent a cool respite on their porches.  A couple of times people have recognized Tomas as being a former resident or because his younger brother looks so much like  him and they know his brother. One couple, in their mid-eighties, has not been able to re-establish mail delivery for over a year. Their yard looks like a garden and we were pleased when they offered us some fresh figs, yummy. 

Linda prepared and served and amazing five-star meal, she cooks even better than she cleans.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend. I look forward to seeing the boys and visiting with Kealy and Jim for breakfast in Baton Rouge on Saturday. I'll head back to Texas on Sunday afternoon as the kids will get in from their adventure too late to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment