It's also the Summer Solstice and the longest day of the year. My Cuban family is departing in various stages for the Dominican Republic for my nephew's wedding which I will be sorry to miss; they're fun when nothing's going on, let alone a real celebration. Happy it is for a joyous occasion that they will be gathering as there have been so many sad ones the past five years. All the very best of love and blessings to BJ and Kristen on their marriage and life together.
This has been a busy week, as always. Yesterday I washed, dried, folded at least 20 sheets and half as many blankets, with a few more to go today after I freshen the curtains in some of the rooms. It is my own doing that I am the laundry woman as I was not satisfied with the way they were being done and volunteered to implement my plan under the addage of 'if you want it done, ask someone, if you want it done right, do it yourself!"
Monday we didn't get to go out surveying because we met with Dion until almost 5:30 regarding upcoming other projects he has in store for us this summer. I for one am thankful that the surveying will be diluted with other, less physically heroic, endeavors. However, we did get out yesterday for about and hour and half before the lightning drove us to an early finish. I continue to be amazed at the openess of the people in this neighborhood and their willingness to respond to our survey. Yesterday we met a single mother who appeared to be unemployed, with four children, the oldest of whom has
Asperger's and is fourteen. She shared for quite a while on the trials of trying to get services for this child through the school system and considered her current, recent situation as answer to a ten year old prayer for them both as he has finally found a place of acceptance and is learning to interact in
appropriate ways.
Today is our Bible study with the Spanish Mission and then off again tomorrow to survey. Friday morning I will leave for Lafayette to house sit while the kids are on their trip and will meet Kealy and Jim for breakfast Saturday morning in Baton Rouge. There are some plants from the house that I would like to have over here and a fabric I had gotten that I obviously won't be using there this summer.
Hope everyone is having a lovely summer. Until later...
No comments:
Post a Comment