Tuesday, June 12, 2012

June 11 canvassing

Yesterday went much more smoothly thanks to preparation for dealing with the heat/sun. Although I was soaking wet by the end of our two and a half hour foray, I wasn't overheated/flushed/bordering dehydration like last week; thanks to my rash guard long sleeve shirt, all natural sunscreen, and UV rated 50+ wide brimmed hat :)

After meeting with Dion for our weekly touch base, Tomas and I headed down to the Avenues to continue out canvas.  Again, everyone was very cordial and many opted to answer the survey questions.
I had told Dion last week that I was going to take the survey myself to see what my own answers would be. I haven't done it yet, but I plan to.

A couple of interesting things happen when you're out walking around in a neighborhood like the one we are in; you notice things that you'd probably miss driving by, if you even happened to drive by, which we usually don't and secondly are reminded that given the obvious need in such a tiny area so far that it exemplifies the scripture verse of "the fields being white" ....

Another interesting thing that came up was the subject of Historic Preservation. One of the residents living in a HUGE old house in pretty poor condition commented upon the City of Beaumont neglecting these historical old homes. Of course, its the property owners rather than the city, but it is something worth pursuing.

No comments:

Post a Comment