That's an expression Natalie uses sometimes, it is appropriate in describing the church group that arrived yesterday - all 63 of them, only 23 of whom were over 18 - Yikes!!! I knew they were bringing a youth group but did not expect it to be such a large one. Wow!!! Some of the group will
stay here and do maintenance, some will repair two damaged homes, and some will go to the
Salvation Army Boys and Girls Club of Port Arthur to hold Vacation Bible School and put on a
musical performance at the end of the week. This is their fourth year to stay at Shepherd's Inn and
they come fully prepared to take over. My only responsibility was to assemble then distribute bedding and towels to everyone's room before they arrived. I did this over the course of catching
up the laundry from the previous weekend's groups and families, loooooong day!
Yesterday was the first time that I've really gone inside each and every room in the place, some of which are pretty sad looking; white walls, no pictures, non-descript window coverings, dreary
bathrooms. That is going to have to be my 'Winter Project'. I was thinking that rather than having
Sunday School classes adopt rooms to decorate, which is only as good as the interest level by the members, that rather have families adopt a room or more in Memoriam. The furniture is already
there, it would basically be just paint, some wall decor, window covering. We provide linens.
Any thoughts on the subject are welcome.
I've been up since midnight and it is 4:26 a.m.. For one thing it was freezing in here because Mary is too short to see what number she is setting the unit on and I forgot to check it before I went to bed, finally at 12:30 I checked and it was 67! I also should have taken two Aleve before I went to bed compliments of the umpty gazillion loads of sheets, towels, and blankets that I washed/dried/folded yesterday. And, last but not least, didn't adjust my supper well enough to accomodate the increase in activity; so just a combination, I'll take a nap after I turn the coffee pot on for the group at five.
Otherwise, busy week ahead if I don't happen to post. Tomorrow night is the neighborhood meeting in the neighborhood where we did the surveying, Friday night we leave for a training retreat a couple of hours from here at the camp site for Opportunity Camp, Saturday at the retreat, then home that afternoon.
Salud!
No comments:
Post a Comment